Thousands of Google employees walked out of the office on Thursday, November 1, in protest of the way that the company handles sexual misconduct and harassment in the workplace. Google offices all over the world participated, including offices based in Singapore, Dublin, New York city, Austen, London, Zurich, Tokyo, and others.
These protests were prompted by the release of a New York Times article detailing the ways in which Google has protected executives accused of misconduct. The article chronicled how three executives, in particular, were quietly let go after allegations against them proved to be true and how they still received payouts in the millions.
Organisers of the walkout said in a statement: “We were disgusted by the details of the recent New york Times article, which provided the latest example of a culture of complicity, dismissiveness, and support for perpetrators in the face of sexual harassment, misconduct, and abuse of power.”
These same organisers issued five demands of the company, adding that “Sadly, this is part of a longstanding problem, one further amplified by systemic racism. We know this culture well.”
“We are taking in all their feedback so we can turn these ideas into action,” concluded Pichai.
— Google Walkout For Real Change (@GoogleWalkout) November 1, 2018
Google CEO, Sundar Pichai, also commented on the situation in an email, saying that he supported the protest.
“Earlier this week, we let Googlers know that we are aware of the activities planned for today and that employees will have the support they need if the wish to participate,” said Pichai in the email.
He added to the statement by saying that employees have raised constructive ideas for how Google can improve their policies and processes going forward.