If you’re wondering what apps thrived last year, look no further – SensorTower has just published its report reflecting the most popular and most downloaded apps of 2019. This report used per-user download figures from the Apple App Store as well as the Google Play Store to tally the total number of downloads.
Before jumping into the most downloaded apps, here’s a quick look at some of 2019’s coolest insights:
- Worldwide app downloads totalled 28.7 billion in 4Q19, a 4.7% year-over-year increase.
- 2019 full year downloads grew 9.1% to 114.9B, including 30.6B on the App Store and 84.3 from Google Play.
- The biggest story of Q4 2019 was the launch of Disney+, which quickly became the top downloaded app in the U.S. It had more than 30 million U.S. downloads in the quarter.
- For the first time in more than five years, Google passed Facebook to become the top mobile publisher by worldwide downloads. It had 841M first-time downloads in 4Q19, up 27.6% year-over-year.
- TikTok ended the year as the No. 2 app by global downloads behind WhatsApp. India was responsible for nearly 45% of TikTok’s first-time downloads in 2019.
And now, the moment you’ve been waiting for – the most demanded apps of last year:
Top Apps of 2019
Top Android apps – Q4 2019
- Club Factory
- UC Browser
Top App Store apps – Q4 2019
- Google Maps
- Jianying Vlog
Edited by Jenna Delport
Follow Jenna Delport on Twitter
Follow IT News Africa on Twitter