The importance of securing your internet connection on your PC cannot be overemphasized. But is securing just one part of your internet use really enough? If you have an Android smartphone, it’s imperative that you use an Android VPN every time you connect to the World Wide Web.
Why You Need Android VPN
In simple terms, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secure tunnel between your PC, tablet or smartphone with the internet. It is essentially a service that provides a secure internet connection by using private servers in remote locations. All data that is transmitted from your device to the VPN server is securely encrypted. The following are the benefits of using Android VPN:
1. It secures your data
You’re probably thinking that you don’t have any reason to conceal the internet traffic that comes from your Android smartphone. What you’re forgetting is that you send emails, texts, photos and other content types from it. Would you really want a stranger to spy on those? Even if you aren’t sharing anything particularly private online, you still wouldn’t want someone to snoop, would you?
Android VPNs come in handy as they protect the data you share and store online. When using unsecured public Wi-Fi networks, VPN will protect all your passwords, confidential emails, credit card numbers, browsing history, and keep them from hackers’ reach.
2. Unblocks geo-restricted content
There’s a lot of content that is geo-restricted, which means that you cannot access that content if you are not in certain locations or countries. For instant, some of the content on Netflix, Hulu YouTube, and The Wall Street Journal, among others, is restricted to certain geolocations only.
Android VPNs allow you to connect to a server that is located within the unrestricted location, enabling you to unblock and access restricted content. For instance; if you are in the U.S., you can select a UK server and access content that can only be accessed from Europe.
3. Protects your anonymity
Android VPNs are good at hiding your IP while browsing the internet. This helps you to remain anonymous and keep your online activities private. This level of privacy is helpful in the sense that the government, your internet service provider or anyone else for that matter cannot monitor your online activities.
Do Android VPNs have a Dark Side?
Unfortunately yes. While there are many benefits of Android VPN to look forward to, there are also some risks that you shouldn’t turn a blind on. This is after it came to light that some Android VPN clients have been outrageously irresponsible with users’ data. Recent findings reveal that:
- 84 per cent of VPNs give away user traffic to third parties
- 38 per cent of VPNs use malware to track users and gain access to their information
- 18 per cent of VPNs do not encrypt traffic at all
- 2 in 3 VPNs use third-party tracking libraries
It is an alarming realization that some Android VPN clients that allege to be trusted VPN providers are far from what they claim to be. They are in fact responsible for tracking users’ data, channeling users’ data through questionable third parties, injecting and harbouring malware into users’ devices, and intentionally distributing personal information, which are the exact risks that VPNs are meant to protect users against.
With the majority of Android VPN clients (about 80 per cent) requesting access to users’ sensitive data, you have to ask yourself this important question – would you be able to confide in your Android VPN Client?
Good news is that there are still good Android VPN clients out there. It’s also reassuring to know that after the findings were revealed, some developers who were found to be responsible for the faulty VPNs which were removed from Google Play app store and many others took action to fix the vulnerabilities. Even as Google increases standards for companies alleging to be Android VPNs, you should be careful when choosing an Android VPN client.
Why You Should Choose Surfshark as Your Android VPN Client
If you do not use an Android VPN just yet, you should consider using Surfshark. There are many things to love about our Android VPN app, which include:
- It has 256-bit end-to-end encryption, which is the highest encryption level in the industry. With our industry-leading encryption, you can rest assured that your sensitive data is safe and secure at all times.
- It allows unlimited simultaneous connections, which enables you to connect multiple devices to one account.
- Enforces a strict no-logs policy, which means that it does not keep any activity or connection logs.
- This means that you can carry out your online activities without worrying about being monitored.
- Kill Switch service is available in this Android VPN client that automatically disconnects you from the internet when your VPN connection drops. This helps to keep your data safe when your device is vulnerable.
- It has Clean Web service that sweeps your device clean to eliminate vulnerabilities.
If you want to stay safe on public Wi-Fi, protect your online payments, secure your sensitive data, and surf the internet incognito, Surfshark has got you covered. All you need to do is to download our VPN for Android app and get to enjoy an unlimited internet from your smartphone.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us so we can help you learn more about our VPN app for Android.