With the limited number of doctors, healthcare practitioners and nurses, who are on the frontline of medical care provision in Africa, efficient management of resources becomes crucial in developing a sustainable national public healthcare programme, that can adequately cover the largest number of patients at the lowest possible cost.
While international investors, healthcare equipment manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies are increasingly becoming aware of the business potential offered by the African market, the need for specialised personnel to manage available resources increases. According to the Financial Times, healthcare in sub-Saharan Africa will be needing, by 2022, investments totaling more than 25 billion USD in physical assets alone, such as hospitals and clinics.
The University of South Wales MSc Public Health equips students with the ability to actively shape the public healthcare sector of their country, by learning the insights of negotiating, planning, implementing and evaluating policy and practice initiatives.
Through this innovative degree programme of USW, one of the largest universities in the UK, offered online through UNICAF to candidates in any country of the world, students gain:
- a critical understanding of how quantitative/qualitative research methods and epidemiological investigations can be used to create and interpret public health knowledge.
- in-depth knowledge and understanding of public health, informed by current scholarship and research.
- the ability to critically evaluate current research and advanced scholarship in the discipline.
- the capability to use expertise in independent learning, using the exploration of knowledge and enquiry to underpin practice.
- creativity and innovation in tackling and solving public health related problems with diverse populations.
- the ability to independently design, assess and evaluate intervention strategies for the promotion of health, or the prevention of disease.
- in-depth knowledge and advanced skills to lead in the field of public health
- the ability to apply knowledge and research to professional practice, in order to meet the changing and multi-disciplinary demands of public health.
- the ability to exercise initiative in creative programme planning, and to lead in change and decision-making.
When studying through UNICAF, students can benefit from the generous UNICAF Scholarship Programme (covering up to 80% of regular tuition fees), the state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which keeps students in continuous contact with an international network of tutors and peers, and facilitates study at the students’ most convenient times, without interfering with their work and family commitments; this is modern online education at its best, following a new but proven approach, enabling students to ‘learn as they earn’, to actively seek and acquire the latest knowledge and critical thinking in their chosen discipline, and to graduate with exactly the same degree as their fellow students, who have attended traditional classes on campus.
For more information or to apply, click here