MENU

Helios Towers partners Vulatel on South African infrastructure

January 16, 2019 • Mobile and Telecoms, Southern Africa, Top Stories

Helios Towers partners Vulatel on South African infrastructure

Helios Towers partners Vulatel on South African infrastructure

Helios Towers has entered into a partnership with Vulatel to work on expanding South Africa’s mobile and fixed-line infrastructure, saying that they aim to make “major greenfield wireless and fixed-line telecoms infrastructure investments”.

Helios Towers will own 66 per cent of Helios Towers South Africa (HTSA) and Vulatel the remaining 34 per cent. Raising money for expansion across Africa for Helios and the like, seeing as the continent holds a tremendous opportunity for growth.

The company predicts that South Africa will lead in the roll-out of 5G in sub-Saharan Africa and will potentially be a part of that process. HTSA, in agreement with Vulatel, will build open access infrastructure to subsequently be leased to other companies.

Helios Towers has long considered entering into the South African market, having already established a foothold in other African countries like Tanzania, Ghana, and the DRC. Of these markets, South Africa is considered one of the more stable and so HTSA is looking at opportunities to buy towers from wireless carriers, like MTN and Vodacom.

By Daniëlle Kruger
Follow Daniëlle Kruger on Twitter
Follow IT News Africa on Twitter

Comments

comments


Comments are closed.

« »