With their continued commitment to promote innovation in the Middle East and Africa by providing developers and start-ups with tools they need to build, grow, monetize, and measure products and services, Facebook is inviting developers from these continents to participate in the smartest Bots for Messenger challenge.
Developers can participate in teams of up to three and are challenged to create bolts in gaming and entertainment; productivity and utility; and social good.
The 60 finalist teams (10 per category in each region) will win a Gear VR and mobile phone, one hour of Facebook mentorship and tools and services from FbStart, a Facebook program designed to help early stage mobile start-ups build and grow their bots.
All student teams who make it to the finals will win an additional $2,000 (students will be verified against their registration via their government accredited school email accounts).
For each region, three runner-up teams (one from each category) will win $10,000 and three months of Facebook mentorship.
For each region, three winning teams (one from each category) will win $20,000 and three months of Facebook mentorship.
- Submissions open: 15 February at 09:00 GMT
- Deadline for entries: 28 April at 11:59:59 GMT
- Finalists announced (30 teams each in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East/North Africa): 19 May at 09:00 GMT
- Deadline for entries from finalists: 2 June at 11:59:59 GMT
- Winners announced: 19 June at 09:00 GMT (three winners and three runner up teams in the Middle East and North Africa; three winners and three runner up teams in Sub-Saharan Africa)