The new Nokia Lumia Amber software update is being released and will deliver a range of new features and apps, like Nokia Glance Screen with the standby clock and an even better imaging experience for Nokia Lumia owners.
Lumia Amber builds on the latest update for Windows Phone 8 from Microsoft. In itself, this provides a number of significant additions, including a new FM radio player and improvements to the Internet Explorer browser as well as other exciting updates:
* Imroved image processing offering better noise reduction, colour reproduction, exposure control and autofocus to every phone across the Lumia range. On the Lumia 920, controls to adjust the ISO settings of the camera from 800 to 3200 allow for even better low light performance.
* Nokia Smart Camera, ideal for taking pictures involving people and movement. Users will be able to get the app from the Store after downloading Lumia Amber.
* Nokia Pro Camera will be available for the Lumia 920. After taking great videos with an updated Lumia, users can edit them quickly with the Nokia Video Trimmer app and upload them to YouTube with Nokia Video Upload.
* Nokia Glance Screen brings a clock to the screen when the phone is inactive, along with indicators to show the battery level when running on a low battery or the phone is charging, and whether the phone is set to ‘silent’.
* Flip to silence and double-tap to wake. Two favourite features from older Nokia phones that users have asked for. Flipping the phone over is a great and easy way to mute an incoming call and double tapping the screen is something many people prefer to using the unlock key.
* Storage Check and faster map updates. Easily view and manage what is taking up space on the phone update HERE Maps even easier and faster, as only those roads and other map features that have been updated will be downloaded — no need to install whole countries anew.
The Lumia Amber rollout has officially started first for the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820. Exact delivery timings will vary by phone and operator, but the expectation is that the update will reach Lumia 520, Lumia 620, Lumia 720, Lumia 820 or Lumia 920 by the end of September.
Nokia Lumia devices will check periodically for software updates automatically, or users can perform a manual check by going to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Phone Update’