On Monday 16 October 2017 in Munich, Germany, Huawei announced the launch of the all-new Huawei Mate 10 series which, according to the company, will open the door to new AI mobile applications. The Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, and Porsche design Huawei Mate 10 are all aimed at making a breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI) on devices by combining the Kirin 970 chipset and EMUI 8.0.
“As we enter the age of intelligence, AI is no longer a virtual concept but something that intertwines with our daily life. AI can enhance the user experience, provide valuable services and improve product performance,” said Richard Yu, CEO, Huawei Consumer Business Group. “The Huawei Mate 10 Series introduces the first mobile AI-specific Neural Network Processing Unit, launching a new era of intelligent smartphones.”
South Africa, as a key market for Huawei, will be among the first to have the Mate Series smartphone in the country.
“We are delighted to bring the Mate 10 Pro and the Porsche Design Mate 10 to South Africa as we believe these smartphones will cater for the South African consumer needs as we enter the age of AI,” said Likun Zhao, GM, Huawei Consumer Business Group SA.
“Consumers will be able to pre-order their devices online after our local launch on the 6th of November 2017,” he added.
Key features include:
• Kirin 970, the world’s first AI processor for smartphones with a dedicated Neural Network Processing Unit (NPU);
• A 3D Glass Body featuring a barely-there-bezel, HUAWEI FullView Display and HDR10 supported technology for intensely vivid and brighter colours;
• TÜV Fast-Charge Safety Certified HUAWEI SuperCharge and 4000 mAh battery with AI-powered Battery Management;
• New Leica Dual Camera with SUMMILUX-H lenses, with both featuring an aperture of f/1.6, and intelligent photography including AI-powered Real-Time Scene and Object Recognition and AI-powered Bokeh Effect;
• An all-new, simplified EMUI 8.0 based on Android 8.0.
The Huawei Mate 10 and Huawei Mate 10 Pro are the first devices powered by the new Kirin 970 processor and deliver AI on your mobile.
The specialised NPU, combined with Huawei’s HiAI mobile computing platform, means the Kirin 970 delivers 25x better performance and 50x greater energy efficiency for AI-related tasks, compared to four Cortex-A73 cores. The Mate 10 Series also supports LTE connectivity and download speeds. The device comes with the world’s first dual 4G SIM support and dual VoLTE connections.
The Mate 10 series has an all-new FullView Display, this features a 5.9-inch screen with a 16:9 display, barely-there-bezel and HDR10 to support vivid colours. The 6-inch Huawei Mate 10 Pro features an 18:9 OLED display, high screen-to-body ratio and HDR10 for dynamic video viewing.
The devices feature a 3D Glass Body, which is curved on all four sides for an ergonomic hold. The back of the device features a reflective band design to highlight the New Leica Dual Camera.
The HUAWEI Mate 10 Pro is also IP67 Water and Dust Resistant.
New Leica dual camera and AI-powered battery management
Huawei has again partnered with Leica to co-engineer the dual lens camera for the Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro. They combine 12-megapixel RGB + 20-megapixel monochrome sensors, Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), dual lenses with an aperture of f/1.6, AI-powered Bokeh Effect and AI-powered Digital Zoom. New AI-powered Real-Time Scene and Object Recognition, which automatically chooses camera settings based on the object and scene, supports an advanced AI-powered Digital Zoom function with AI Motion Detection for clearer and sharper pictures.
The Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro pack a 4000 mAh high-density battery featuring a smart battery management system that understands user behaviour and allocates resources to maximise battery life. It supports 4.5V / 5A low-voltage fast charging, powering the device from 1 percent to 20 percent in 10 minutes, and 1 percent to 58 percent in 30 minutes.
Huawei also launched three HUAWEI Mate 10 accessories: the EnVizion 360 Camera, SuperCharge Power Bank, and Smart Scale.
• The EnVizion 360 Camera can shoot 5K photos and 360-degree 2K videos with multiple viewing modes for users to share across their social media channels.
• Huawei’s SuperCharge Power Bank supports a 4.5V/5A low-voltage fast charge.
• The Smart Scale can monitor and analyze health information such as body fat percentage and Body Mass Index through a mobile app.