The new Nokia 8 was released on Thursday 7 September 2017 in Johannesburg, South Africa. HMD Global, the home of Nokia phones, unveiled the first flagship device in the Nokia/HMD journey which will be available exclusively from Vodacom at the recommended retail price of R9 499 and on a uChoose flexi 150 at R499x24, no date has been announce for the end of the exclusivity period.
The Nokia 8 unpacked:
- Available in single SIM and dual SIM variants
- OS: Android Nougat 7.1.1
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 64GB internal memory with external MicroSD card slot (support up to 256 GB)
- Form factor: Splashproof IP54 touch monoblock with capacitive system keys
- Display: 5.3” IPS LCD QHD 2560 x 1440, 700nts screen brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass 5, 2.5D Glass
- Camera with ZEISS optics:
- Primary camera: 13MP (Colour + OIS) + 13MP (Mono), 1.12um, f/2.0, 76.9˚, PDAF, IR range finder, dual tone flash
- Front facing camera: 13MP PDAF, 1.12um, f/2.0, 78.4˚, display flash
- Battery: Integrated 3090 mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 compatible
- Dimensions: 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9mm (camera bump 0.4mm)
The device also features three world first features on Android smartphones which include a debut collaboration with ZEISS optics, a dual-sight camera and Nokia OZO Audio.
The dual-sight camera is one of the standout features of the device allowing for a new live-streaming experience by simultaneously harnesses both the front and rear cameras in a split screen visual for both photos and videos.
The Nokia OZO Audio feature allows for OZO spatial 360° audio to bring an immersive audio experience to your 4K video. Leading-edge 360° audio also provides a new experience when capturing video.
Justin Maier, Vice President of HMD Global: Sub Sahara Africa, speaking about the device said: “We know that fans are creating and sharing live content more than ever before, with millions of photos and videos shared every minute on social media. People are inspired by the content they consume and are looking for new ways to create their own. It’s these people who have inspired us to craft a flagship smartphone which perfectly balances premium design, an outstanding experience and powerful performance.”
Edited By: Dean Workman
Follow Dean Workman on Twitter
Follow ITNewsAfrica.com on Twitter