Since launching the Messenger Platform at F8 in April, businesses and developers have built more than 34,000 bots to engage with people. Bots that can accept payments, deliver news and content, share weather updates, confirm reservations at a hotel; send receipts from a recent purchase, and more to help drive personalized, scaled experiences with customers have been built. Inspired by this fast-growing adoption and the feedback Facebook has received, there are two new resources to make building and measuring bots for Messenger easier than ever. Facebook is adding analytics capabilities and the eligibility to join the FbStart program.
Facebook Analytics for Apps is a tool that reaches across mobile and desktop devices, helping businesses measure, understand, and optimize their customers’ journey across apps and websites. Starting today, we’re extending this analytics support to businesses building bots on the Messenger Platform, becoming among the first analytics solutions for bots in the industry to provide actionable insights and transparency.
The new free tool, allows the view reports on messages sent, messages received, and people who block or unblock your app — without having to add additional code. In addition, you’ll have access to aggregated and anonymized demographic reports such as age, gender, education, interests, country, language, and much more to help you better understand who’s engaging with your bots. For bots associated with multiple Pages, you’ll be able to filter results at the page-level to view analytics for a specific Page.
Businesses on the Messenger Platform can also use the App Events API to log custom events for Analytics for Apps. The tool gives deeper insights about how people are engaging with your bots. Some example use cases are:
- A travel business can see how often people are transferred to a human agent
- A news publisher can see how frequently people click links back to their site
- An e-commerce business can build cross-platform funnels to see what percentage of people interact with its bot also make a purchase on its website or app
FbStart to Welcome Bots for Messenger Developers
Messenger Platform developers and businesses can apply for FbStart, Facebook’s global program to help early stage mobile startups build & grow their apps. Bots for Messenger developers and businesses accepted into FbStart will receive all the program benefits—including Facebook ads credits and free tools and services from premier partners like Amazon, Dropbox, and Stripe. To learn more about the program, visit: www.fbstart.com.
How to Get Started with Analytics and FbStart Opportunities
- To view analytics for your bot, go to your Facebook Analytics for Apps dashboard, select your app from the menu, and navigate to the Events tab
- To log custom events for more in depth analysis, you can reference the App Events API documentation here
- Messenger Platform developers and businesses interested in applying to FbStart can do so here
By Sridharan Ramanathan