Alcatel-Lucent and Tunisie Telecom, an established Tunisian telecommunications provider, have successfully completed the trial of superfast broadband services using advanced Alcatel-Lucent’s VDSL2 Vectoring technology.
The trial is a major step toward Tunisie Telecom’s plan to offer superior broadband services throughout the country. The use of vectoring will enable the operator to offer householders and businesses downstream data speeds of up to 100 Megabits per second (Mbps) using the existing copper access network.
• Tunisie Telecom tested VDSL2 Vectoring technology to determine whether its current network can, with such a modification, meet customer demand for superfast broadband, delivering applications like video-on-demand and online gaming.
• Data speeds of 100Mbps downstream were achieved over a distance of 600 meters, far greater than current speeds offered by standard DSL technology. Speeds of 40Mbps were achieved for upstream.
• VDSL2 Vectoring achieves such speeds using existing copper lines and noise-cancelling technology that removes the interference between multiple lines in a grouping of cables so that each can operate at its best and deliver higher bit rates.
• The first trials were conducted in December on Tunisie Telecom premises under field conditions using Alcatel-Lucent’s Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM) 7302 platform running on copper cable from Tunisie Telecom’s current network.
• In total, 11 service providers are currently deploying Alcatel-Lucent’s VDSL2 Vectoring solutions while more than 40 have been involved in trials.
Nizar Bouguila, Chief Technology Officer of Tunisie Telecom said, “VDSL2 vectoring technology will allow us to quickly deliver advanced broadband services to meet our customers’ growing demands for more innovative, better quality and more value added services. We are very pleased with the test results, which were achieved thanks to Alcatel-Lucent’s great support.
Faical Haffoudhi , Country Manager of Alcatel-Lucent in Tunisia, Morocco and Mauritania said: “VDSL2 Vectoring is really delivering on its promise of providing high-speed broadband to subscribers as quickly as possible. Tunisie Telecom is clearly committed to doing exactly this for its customers. Their test of our VDSL2 Vectoring solution shows that we have the technologies necessary to meet the growing broadband demands of customers throughout Tunisia.”