MENU

Etisalat Nigeria pushing regulator for promotion exemption

November 28, 2012 • Mobile and Telecoms

Telecom operator Etisalat Nigeria is calling on the country’s regulator, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to give it an exemption on the recent ban on promotions and lotteries by operators, which took effect earlier this month. The operator claims that its network has not experienced any capacity issues to warrant the ban.

Etisalat Nigeria is calling on the NCC to give it an exemption on the recent ban on promotions and lotteries. (Image: Google/omg.com.ng)

The company’s CEO Steve Evans said that “unlike others operators, it does not run schemes offering things like five times the call minutes that have to be used by midnight that day.”

He continued that Etisalat “is in talks with the NCC, because it considers it fundamentally unfair for Etisalat to be included in that ban.”

This follows the issue of a ban on operators after the NCC received numerous complaints from customers and industry stakeholders weary of the current trajectory and level of service being offered by the country’s telecom operators.

A statement by Tony Ojobo, NCC’s public affairs director, said that “the ban would remain in force until the commission deemed fit.”

Telecoms operators Globacom, MTN Nigeria, Intercellular Limited, Visafone, Etisalat, Airtel and Multi-Links Telecoms have been hit hard by the ban, although a report last week revealed that the operators were flouting the NCC’s calls to stop promotions by going forward with them anyway.

David Eto

Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »