Facebook officially has 1-billion users
The world’s largest social network, Facebook, celebrated a milestone by crossing over the one billion mark of people using the network to connect and communicate.
“This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month. If you’re reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you. Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life,” founder Mark Zuckerberg said in a post on Facebook.
But while the website has attracted a staggering amount of users, Zuckerberg said that he is constantly looking at improving the service. “I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too,” he concluded in the short post.
The company also released some statistics around the usage of Facebook since it started:
* Over 1.13 trillion likes since launch in February 2009
* 140.3 billion friend connections
* 219 billion photos uploaded (Data was pulled on 9/10/2012, and represents the total # of photos currently on this site – in other words, it excludes deleted photos. If we wanted to include all photos ever uploaded, the estimate we have is 265 billion. Photo uploading launched fall 2005.)
* 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins (Includes location-tagged posts as well as check-ins. Data was pulled 9/10/2012, and represents total location-tagged posts & check-ins since launch of the product in August 2010)
* 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times – that’s about 210,000 years of music (Data was pulled on 9/11/2012, and represents song plays since the launch of music-listening applications in September 2011)
Characteristics of users joining the week Facebook hit 1-billion:
* The median age of the user is about 22
* The top five countries where people connected from at the time we reached this milestone were Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States.
* Facebook now has 600M mobile users
Charlie Fripp – Consumer Tech editor