South African fixed-line and mobile operator Telkom recently announced the appointment of former Samsung Managing Director Deon Liebenberg as the new Head of Business Mobile. As the decision-maker at Telkom’s mobile division, he will be at the helm of developing and executing future strategy for the division. IT News Africa had a chance to talk to Liebenberg about his move, his future plans and why he decided to make the transition from Samsung to Telkom.
1. You have taken up the position as the new Head of Telkom Business Mobile. What exactly will that entail? What will your key focus areas be?
As the Head of the Telkom Business Mobile, I will be responsible for driving strategy and execution for all mobile activities in Telkom Business.
2. Although you might not be able to discuss it in detail, have you mapped out a future strategy for Telkom Business Mobile? What is your vision for the future?
For Telkom the future is seamless fixed mobile convergence and ultimately unified communications. I plan to assist in positioning Telkom as the leading provider of converged communication solutions in South Africa.
3. How easy will it be to make the transition from Samsung to Telkom Business Mobile?
I look forward to entrenching myself into this great opportunity that lies ahead. I have a good understanding of the mobile and ICT space and will focus on using that experience and the strength of what Telkom has to offer to drive strategy and execution.
4. Having a passion for telecommunications, how would you like to see the mobile landscape change in South Africa?
Access to the Internet will transform consumer behaviour and will add value to many lives. Convergence will lead the transformation in the telecommunication space in the South African business market and will allow world-class services and customer experience.
5. Having a background in a variety of companies, why did you decide to make the transition to Telkom? Is moving to fixed mobile convergence a natural progression for you?
I have always seen Telkom as a leader in the telecommunication environment. It is a natural transition for me to take up the challenging opportunity with Telkom Business Mobile as I believe fixed mobile convergence is the next wave in the business environment.”
6. What you are most looking forward to in your new capacity?
I look forward to building and executing the Telkom Business Mobile value proposition. My focus will be to further disrupt the market and to provide significant value to our business customers.
Charlie Fripp – Consumer Tech editor