MENU

New scam, South Africans beware

March 19, 2012 • Security

There is a new scam doing the rounds and internet users should be wary.

Some South Africans have fallen prey to a new international phone scam. (image: wickwar.org)

Yesterday The Weekend Argus reported an international phone scam had caught some South Africans off-guard.

The scam allows others full access to your computer. According to the report, some victims received landline calls from people claiming to be Microsoft employees informing them of problems with their computer.

These alleged Microsoft employees told victims their computers were submitting error messages containing corrupt files, which could damage their systems.

Victims were directed to a programme called Microsoft Event Viewer, which displayed error messages and they were then instructed to download software to fix the problem.

Victims inadvertently gave full control of their computers to the scammers and even paid an additional £185 (about R2220) ‘fee’, adding Insult to injury.

Microsoft after being notified of the matter, issued a statement saying that it was against their policy to make such calls to customers.

Nico Gous

Related Posts

13 Responses to New scam, South Africans beware

1. Realist says:

If you get caught for something as ridiculous as this then you deserve to be scammed..
    Fool & Money comes to mind…

2. I have received at least six of these calls with the last being on Friday when the call was ended after I let off a few "four letter" words.

3. Erika says:

A friend of mine, who lives of a disability grant was scammed out of R600. She still thanked the guy for helping her before het computer “crashed” as he said it would. They supplied email adresses, and Cape Town Telephone numbers. They claimed to be from a security company called EP Protections. After I told her I think she had been scammed she spent another hour on the phone trying to stop her cards and block bankaccounts. Don’t these guys have any feelings – they littarally took “food” of her table.!!!! Lets spread the word as much as we can to prevent other people from being victims. Wonder what the chances are that these fraudsters will be caught.

4. Erika Fourie says:

A friend of mine, who lives of a disability grant was scammed out of R600. She still thanked the guy for helping her before het computer “crashed” as he said it would. They supplied email adresses, and Cape Town Telephone numbers. They claimed to be from a security company called EP Protections. After I told her I think she had been scammed she spent another hour on the phone trying to stop her cards and block bankaccounts. Don’t these guys have any feelings – they littarally took “food” of her table. Lets spread the word as much as we can to prevent other people from being victims. Wonder what the chances are that these fraudsters will be caught.

5. Cheryl Carey says:

SHARE WITHN EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

6. I wish they call me! Can have a lot of fun with them for a few hours… :D
    "Im sorry, could you hold on, I'm having trouble with my internet. [mute phone, watch series] You still there? Oh, ok, website loaded, now what do I do… Click on what? I don't see it… Nope, its not on my screen… Maybe I should reload the page… Hold on [mute phone, watch series]".

• Author John Murray McKay says:

Put 80 year old grandpa on the phone- let him tell them war stories. Mu ha ha. These talentless bastards needs to be screwed with!

• John Murray McKay People need to understand that Microsoft doesn't give a damn about you. If your PC blows up due to errors, its your problem! And yours alone!

• Author John Murray McKay says:

This is afterall Microsoft- the evil company that gave us widows. Ooh ooh- tell the scammer you have Dos on your 386 and see what they do!

« »