Mozambique’s third mobile operator Movitel is hoping to have all systems in place for their planned starting operation date of 8 January 2012. The company will be rolling out various packages, but will also focus on low-income customers in rural areas.
“A Mozambican-Vietnamese partnership has a 30 percent stake and the Viettel group controls the remaining 70 percent of what is the third mobile telephony operator in Mozambique. The operator plans to provide all services that can use a mobile telephony platform, starting with Internet access,” wrote Macauhub.
Movitel aims to cover approximately 80% of Mozambique’s population, and has a projected target growth of over 10 million customers in its fifth year of existence.
According to Rádio Moçambique, Movitel has a goal to revolutionise the mobile telephony industry in the country, and it’s rumoured that they will be investing at least US$400 million in Mozambique’s telecommunications industry.
Charlie Fripp – Acting Online editor