With Europe’s largest gaming trade show in full swing, a large independent expert jury gathers annually at Gamescom to determine who performed the best at the show, and who presented the best products. This year it was undoubtedly Electronic Arts, who walked away with four of the major prizes.
The games-makers’ Battlefield 3, which is scheduled to be released later in October in South Africa, won the “Best of Gamescom 2011″ award, which automatically makes it the Best in Show. The Battlefield franchise has notoriously been in competition with Activision’s Modern Warfare series, who will also release a new title this year.
This year’s Gamescom awards comprised a total of eight categories: Best PC Game, Best Console Game, Best Mobile Game, Best Online Game, Best Browser Game, Best Family Game, Best Hardware/Hardware Accessories, and Best of Gamescom (selected by the jury from all categories).
The “Best PC Game” award went to Blizzard Entertainment for their upcoming RPG Diablo III. The title has been in the making for a number of years, and it’s one of the most anticipated releases, although no release date has been offered by Blizzard. The company is famous for saying a game will be released “when it’s done”.
The other winners were:
* PlayStation Vita, Best Hardware or Hardware Accessories, Sony Computer Entertainment
* FIFA 12, Best Console Game, Electronic Arts
* Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Best Mobile Game, Sony Computer Entertainment
* Star Wars: The Old Republic, Best Online Game, Electronic Arts
* Diablo III, Best PC Game, Blizzard Entertainment
* The Sims Social, Best Browser Game, Electronic Arts
* Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster, Best Family Game, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Charlie Fripp – Consumer Tech editor