The CCK said that subscribers whose numbers will not be on the data base by September 16 should consider themselves disconnected.
CCK Director General Charles Njoroge said all operators were obligated to inform their subscribers before disconnecting them for non-registration.
“After the 15th of this month (September) there should be no complaints that my information has not been transmitted to the operator. After that, we expect that any number that will be in the system has an identity and if not must be disconnected until the individual complies with the new rules. We are not going to extend the deadline anymore,” said Njoroge.
Information and Communication Permanent Secretary Dr Bitange Ndemo also confirmed CCK’s directives saying operators had been given enough time to compile their databases following the two-month exercise.
He said that section 23 of the Kenya Communications Act of 2009 stated that “the Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) shall so far as is reasonably practicable ensure there are provided throughout Kenya such telecommunication services and in particular emergency, public payphone and directory information services as are reasonably necessary to satisfy public demand thereof”.
Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki last year directed mobile phone operators to register their customers to enhance national security and reduce phone-related crimes.
At least over 80% of subscribers have complied with the government directive.
Safaricom had so far registered 13,4 million of its 16 million-strong subscribers – a compliance of 84%.
Zain Kenya has announced 65% compliance with 1,39 million customers registered. Essar Telecom’s yu has registered 445 000 out of 1,5 million customers, while Telekom Kenya’s Orange has managed to register 250 000 out of 500 000 customers.