MENU

MTN launches free Facebook mobile site

May 21, 2010 • Mobile and Telecoms, Top Stories

MTN Group has today announced the launch of a new mobile Facebook site (0.facebook.com), to enable its subscribers browse the popular social network site without incurring any data charges.

Facebook’s 0.facebook.com site is optimized for speed – it is a new faster, lightweight version of Facebook’s mobile site m.facebook.com. The site does not have graphics or photos, and 0.facebook.com’s pages have been designed for performance on MTN’s network.

Photos posted on Facebook are only one click away from 0.facebook.com. Standard data charges will apply when a person leaves 0.facebook.com to view photos.

Says MTN Group’s Chief Marketing Officer, Ms Santie Botha: “In the true spirit of innovation and bringing our customers convenience – including the latest in technology at affordable rates – MTN has collaborated with Facebook on this venture to ensure our customers are among the first to benefit from this social service and communication offering for free.

“We recognise that many of our customers across our footprint in Africa and the Middle East are on Facebook and use it to keep in touch and share special moments with family and friends. As an emerging markets player, we also understand our subscribers’ challenges in terms of costs and ease of access to the Internet.

MTN Play is an interactive mobile access channel that enables MTN’s over 123 million customers across its vast global footprint of 21 countries in Africa and the Middle East to enjoy digital content, which will include near live match highlights during the 2010 FIFA World Cup™.

“As we count down to the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, for which MTN is a global sponsor, we believe this latest offering perfectly augments other MTN products and services such as MTN Play. Together these will go a long way in making our customers’ experience of the football spectacular most memorable,” says Botha.

Related Posts

13 Responses to MTN launches free Facebook mobile site

1. Roger says:

This article is only half true. Its NOT for South African MTN customers. The SA MTN call center don’t even have no knowledge of this. I’m an MTN customer and it gives the following “Sorry, 0.facebook.com is only supported by selected mobile carriers and is not available from your mobile carrier”"

2. jones says:

I tried to log onto the o.facebook.com, that is said to be free, but i was suprised to find out that i was charged over using it! I need the world to be sincere! ok!

YOu are bad friends who are aftermoney and decieving people! It is a bad service supplier!
    No regards at all to you!

3. Joshua Atuhairwe says:

I tried connecting myself to the MTN face book mobile but only received an sms that my account balance is low.
    you guys is it because you have many clients that you don’t care about us.there are many services that we pay for,why lie while one if he can,can subscribe for the service?
    Thanks if you deserve.

4. Guys this #### thing i doesn’t work, i tried several time but it keep on charging me. Mtn team you’ll lose your customers …

5. Jonathan says:

How come my BlackBerry 9700 doesn’t pick up free facebook mobile while using MTN wap!!

6. Agnes says:

hey, stop deceiving people, there is nothing like free face book on MTN. sha MTN of all networks to give out some thing free of charge, they wd die!!!

7. Robertstracy says:

It is true there is free facebook on MTN and we should be proud of this ,and i have been using it all day and night if you really dout call me i’ll give you info.

8. alfredo tindy says:

No doubt MTN Facebook saves me from husling with cafe attendants. As a producer I give MTN thumbs up man, am never out of the studio.

9. Zel says:

I switched over to MTN from Vodacom yesterday, all excited about O.Facebook. Only to get this message… “Sorry, 0.facebook.com is only supported by selected mobile carriers and is not available from your mobile carrier”. Not happy. Might throw out my MTN simcard and stay with Vodacom.

10. Lala Amusa says:

Add a comment…if it is through I we be glad.

11. Bilal Hamidi says: