MENU

RIM announces the new BlackBerry Curve 8520 for SA

September 10, 2009 • Gadgets and Gaming, Mobile and Telecoms

8520Curve.jpgResearch In Motion announced the new BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone for customers in South Africa at a glittering event in Johannesburg yesterday. The new handset was presented to the media and local celebrities by RIM Regional Director, Deon Liebenberg .

The handset, a new addition to the BlackBerry Curve series of smartphones, is now available from MTN and Vodacom countrywide.

The slim new BlackBerry Curve 8520 is an incredibly approachable smartphone for people who like to be connected. It provides easy mobile access to email, messaging (IM, SMS, MMS) and popular social networking sites (including Facebook® and MySpace) and features a highly tactile full-QWERTY keyboard for comfortable, accurate typing. It also features rich multimedia capabilities and access to music, games and other mobile apps for entertainment on the go.

The BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone is a quad band phone, and is also Wi-Fi®-enabled to arm customers with fast Web browsing and extended data coverage.

In addition to providing customers with the industry’s leading mobile email and messaging solution, the BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone is designed to be efficient and convenient. It introduces an innovative touch-sensitive optical trackpad, which makes scrolling and selection smooth and easy for a great navigation experience. It is also the first BlackBerry smartphone to feature dedicated media keys, smoothly integrated along the top of the handset, giving customers an easy, convenient way to control their music and videos.

“The new BlackBerry Curve 8520 is the latest addition to the BlackBerry Curve family of smartphones. It is both affordable and easy to use, making it the ideal first smartphone for the millions of South Africans who have yet to make the switch from cellphone to smartphone,” says Deon Liebenberg, regional director for Sub-Sahara Africa, Research In Motion. “It delivers all the great messaging, social networking and multimedia features that customers have come to expect from BlackBerry smartphones.”

Key features of the BlackBerry Curve 8520 smartphone include:

• Full-QWERTY keyboard and touch-sensitive optical trackpad for reliable, responsive typing and navigation

• 256MB Flash memory and a 512Mhz next generation processor for enhanced performance

• Premium phone features including voice activated dialing, and Bluetooth (2.0) support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals

• 2 MP digital camera with zoom and video recording

• Advanced media player for music, pictures and videos, with dedicated media keys and a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, plus BlackBerry ® Media Sync, which makes it easy to quickly sync music from iTunes® or Windows Media® Player with the smartphone*

• BlackBerry® Internet Service support for access to up to 10 supported email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts such as MWEB, Yahoo! ® , Windows Live ™ Hotmail ® and Gmail ™ ; and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server support, which provides advanced security and IT administration features for corporate deployments

• Expandable memory via hot swappable microSD/SDHC memory card slot, supporting cards of up to 16 GB today and expected to support next generation 32GB cards when available; a 2GB card is included

• Built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)

• Quad-band world phone: EGDE/GPRS/GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

ITNewsAfrica

Related Posts

19 Responses to RIM announces the new BlackBerry Curve 8520 for SA

1. JUNIOR says:

how much is the phone on prepaid?

2. Im in love with this phone, it is cheaply available on contract if im not mistaken for 89,00 pm om MTN

If someone loves Blackbeery and couldnt afford, this is the time you purchase this babe

3. Bevan says:

I have A bit of a jam. I purchased the 8520 curve Yesterday (30/09/2009) on Prepaid. To my dis-belief. The Blackberry Range is NOT supported on the Virgin Mobile Network, Then i tried MTN. I was told that due to the fact that i am a pre-paid Customer. MTN will not help me to Setup my Phone. Now i am currently waiting for Connection onto the Vodacom Network. But i am just confused and Dissappionted.That the Major network like MTN can not help aid their subscribers. Regardless if you are a Contract or Pre-paid Subscriber. What is the Difference in the Sim Cards that MTN wont offer the Pre-paid Customer. Please if Someone could Aid me, It will be Greatfully Appriciated.

(p.s)Rendani the cheapest you can get the 8520 Blackberry Curve For On A Contract is R149.99 P/m On Vodacom or Mtn.

4. sumaya says:

i would like to get me this blackberry on the vodacom contract. apparently all browsing and emails are free inlcuded in the 149rand contract. i would like to know if tha tincludes uploaidng and downloading pictures to my phone/pc and for sending pics via email tooo. plz help coz i spend a fortune on internet time!!!

5. thompho "joe soap"dama says:

also cheap on prepaid-only on R2800 in any store now! Dont forget rica guys!!!…lol

6. Mache D. says:

I have recently purchased a blackberry 8520 and cant seem to figure out where to set up my WiFi(internet) for the MTN network. I have requested a phone setup(via *123# ), upon which they said I had to manually set up my WiFi and gave me the required information – I just could not find where to enter this information. If anyone could advise me where the APN settings should be entered, it would be greatly appreciated.

7. Glynnis Bold says:

Please can you help. I have recently purchased a Blackberry curve 8520 and I am on a Cell C contract. Cell C tell me they cannot send me the settings for my MMS and GPRS settings. Now I cannot use the email or the internet. Please can you send me the settings to my cell phone from Blackberry.

Thanks

8. Dalene says:

Im very disappointed coz Im using MTN prepaid and I bought the blackberry 8520 vodafone. MTN tells me that they cant provide me with wap setting, they say I must change to contract. What must I do now coz I cant change my number to vodacom and I dont want to go on contract coz I bought that phone cash.

9. Levin says:

Hi. Please inform if I can listen to audio streaming, can I install a real player, why is the internet slow, downloads are unsuccessful, bluetooth is not pairing with laptop,

10. jabulile says:

since i bought the phone i am having a blast, i am on prepaid and after paying the R59 for my blackberry access i have been enjoying my facebook n e-mails and i am always connected even if i don’t have airtime…….. i luv it

11. Annis Hanz says:

[..] A bit unrelated, but I totally liked this site post [..]

12. Sthembele says:

Can’t find e-mail setup option on setup menu on my bb8520, have already paid the R59 for bb access… Plz help

13. Annemarie says:

i’m on a cell c contract and need to get bis settings on my blackberry 8520. Please help.

14. zama says:

Someone please tell me how much is this phone. I am crazy about it .

15. Tony Stella says:

Has anybody had any replys to there questions. I am on cell c and am trying to connect

16. I’m really dissappointed with this blackberry curve. I really loved it because it has all the features I like, but what can you do when it just turns off while you are busy chating serious issues with your friends on facebook. When you complain to the dealer, they tell you it will take six to eight weeks to get it fixed, its not even 3 months since I purchased the device.

Regards, Heart broken Lorraine

17. Penelope says:

VODACOM IS SO HELPFUL…. I have worried them constantly and they never let me down!

18. Tyrone says:

If I have a MTN contract and I buy a BB8520 with prepaid, am i able to get the bis settings by paying the R69 from my contract? Need a few answers

« »